[mythtv-users] Mything thomething

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sat May 28 20:25:49 UTC 2011

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 01:49:07PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 05/28/2011 01:14 PM, Richard Morton wrote:
> > I am interested why reusing components in this way isnt the optimum
> > solution from the mythtv developers point of view.
> >
> > I am guessing that the primary reason is that
> > 1) you're limited by the functionality exposed by the tools that have
> > been selected (which would make storing the keyframe locations in a
> > database difficult I would expect)
> > 2) you're constantly chasing your tail with dependency hell trying to
> > maintain stable, production quality systems with different
> > distributions of linux using different versions of the dependant tools
> > which may well be incompatible.
> >
> > I am however generally interested in the pro's and con's from the
> > developers perspective.
> That's basically exactly it.  Plus, when you use MPlayer as the video
> player, you get only the MPlayer OSD, and similar--you lack consistency

   You also get all of the capabilities of mplayer and all of the developers
of mplayer. You have a tool that's much more robust because it's not just
limited to the MythTV community.

   That's a very handy thing. Consistency isn't really that great if your
movies don't play correctly.

   The more you take on, the more you have to get right.