[mythtv-users] Recent Drive Purchase from Newegg -- (10x WD2002FAEX-0)

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Thu May 26 12:39:31 UTC 2011

On 11-05-26 12:04 AM, Ben Kamen wrote:
..
> We bought 10 of them from Newegg. They came in a white foam carrier half wrapped in bubble and then placed in a box with a little additional paper wadding **UPSIDE DOWN**.
>
> Not exactly what I would call stellar packing.
>
> 2 of 10 drives DOA.
>    * 1 spins up -- but never reports to the system.
>    * 1 spins up but smart reported 1140 reallocated sectors during raid build -- and was failed out.
..

As the original "Linux IDE Guy" and a current libata developer/maintainer,
I have gone through a ton of drives over the decades.

Without exception, the ones that fail are all from the ones that were shipped to me.
Not all of them -- some shippers used to pack drives very well -- but most of them.

But by comparison, of the drives I've purchased myself, always done in person
at a local shop, none have failed.  Zero.  Zip.

When I do buy locally, I go to a local outlet of a regional chain,
and the price there is as good as any online shop.  They sell enough drives
that they buy them in very large quantities directly from the manufacturers,
who pack them in bulk more appropriately for shipping than, say, newegg might.

My current favourites, with nothing else even close,
are the 2TB WD "Green" drives.  Silent, cool, big, and fast.
But I would never buy one from a remote seller and
risk damage to it from shipping.

Cheers