[mythtv-users] Recent Drive Purchase from Newegg -- (10x WD2002FAEX-0)

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Thu May 26 15:35:21 UTC 2011

For packing, IMO Samsung is on top right now. The pack OEM drives in plastic
clamshells that seem to have some protection from shipping bumps. Even then,
I did get 2/12 that I had to RMA. That's not uncommon for me though as I do
beat them up really well before I use them for data. They IDed and such, but
would show data errors toward the end of the disk. I've had similar results
from all the manufacturers over the years, shipped or not. If I had a local
place that didn't require me to be a reseller, I'd consider working with
them, but I haven't found one as good as newegg. Not just on price, but
service as well. The egg has been inconsistent in packing at times, but no
worse than anyone else, IMO.

The only reason I won't do WD right now for RAID is their stupid error
handling code that causes the drive to not respond long enough to get
faulted out of the array at times. Just report the error and let the OS deal
with it... pffffttt