[mythtv-users] new HDMI cable give no display

Tim Draper veehexx at gmail.com
Wed May 25 17:33:44 UTC 2011

On 24 May 2011 20:41, Ramon Hofer <ramonhofer at bluewin.ch> wrote:

>  On 05/24/2011 06:40 PM, Tim Draper wrote:
>
> On 24 May 2011 17:21, Ken Truesdale <kat at tiac.net> wrote:
>
>>  On May 24, 2011, at 12:07 PM, Tim Draper wrote:
>>
>> > upto now i've been using an unknown HDMI cable (came with sky+HD box,
>> which i've now sold). i've had to buy a new HDMI cable  to go with my mythtv
>> setup.
>> > the local shop had 2 types, so i went for the more expensive HDMI 1.4
>> specced cable.
>> >
>> > now when mythtv boots, i either get no display (with the tv switching
>> between wide and 16:9 ratio), or a load of snow over the screen (like an
>> untuned analogue tv signal).
>> > i reboot the mythtv pc, and it shows a picture fine at bios level, just
>> not once mythbuntu starts booting.
>> >
>> > i've been able to get into mythbuntu 'safe mode', enter safe graphics
>> mode, and re-configure the display. reboot as requested, but still no
>> display once mythbuntu starts to load.
>> >
>> > annoying.
>> > but whats even more annoying, is the cable works perfect with my HDMI
>> laptop (intel HD graphics) at 1080p.
>> > since i bought 2 of the same cable, i try both; they both exhibit the
>> same issue with mythbuntu.
>> >
>> > mythbuntu setup:
>> > nvidia 210 gfx
>> > mythbuntu 0.24
>> >
>> > any ideas how i can fix this? i know it's a bit overkill, but i COULD
>> rebuild it from scratch if it came to it. i'm not very good with linux - i
>> can get my way around and usually understand what im doing when i follow a
>> guide, but not actually diagnosing issues.
>> >
>> > oh, SSH and VNC works fine and mythtv seems to be fully working (hdd
>> activity when i use the controller to go around the menus), just im getting
>> no display..
>>

>>  So MythTV used to work with your TV with the old cable and doesn't with
>> the new cable?  Is it possible that the old cable wasn't setting up a good
>> connection to the Myth box and the video display was taking a guess.  Now
>> you can get a good EDID through the new cable and your Myth box doesn't have
>> the right drivers?  If so, then it is just a matter of debugging why your
>> Myth box doesn't like your TV now that it knows what it is.
>>
>> The alternative is that the cable isn't working with your setup which
>> seems easy enough to check by returning one of the two cables you got and
>> trying the other kind that was offered.
>>

> god knows what the issue is; these new cables dont seem to like the mythtv
> pc. work fine with everything else, and other cables work fine with mythtv.
> i think i'll swap cables around to get a working setup for tonight, and see
> what they can do for replacement tomorrow..
> i think i might look at upgrading to 11.04/0.24.1 next week and see if i
> suffer the same issues.
>
> thanks for the sugestions..
>

> I had a similar problem: no problem with a DVI to HDMI adapter and a short
> cable. But when I changed the short cable with a longer one there was no
> [...]
well, go figure! it's working fine now!
resumed-from-sleep, shutdown and swapped HDMI cable from an old one to a new
one, and then booted up with the 11.04 livecd. worked fine. rebooted into
the live installation and it's all fine now!
my only sugestion is their was some residue on one of hdmi connectors that
has now rubbed off with the various testing of what works and what doesn't.

ahh, the joys of tech!