[mythtv-users] MythTV streaming protocol takes 3x the bandwidth of CIFS streaming

DarkNovaNick at gmail.com DarkNovaNick at gmail.com
Mon May 23 16:26:55 UTC 2011

A couple months ago I started transcoding recordings to DIVX/MPEG-4/AVI
using mythnuv2mkv, which allows me to do things that the built-in
transcoder can't do, like deinterlace right in the transcoded recording, as
one of my frontends is too slow to deinterlace the way I want on the fly.
Sometimes this works fine, but on over half the recordings I experience a
strange problem.

I'm streaming over a wifi link which has a maximum bandwidth of about 15
Mbps. I was getting prebuffering pauses, so at first I thought the
resulting file was peaking over the amount of bandwidth available, so I
adjusted the mencoder parameters in the script to limit the maximum
bandwidth to 6 Mbps (using vrc_maxrate and vrc_buf_size). I still got
prebuffering pauses, so I used Linux's "iftop" utility to monitor the
bandwidth mythfrontend was actually using. Even though the file itself was
less than 6 Mbps, mythfrontend was maxing out my wifi link at 15 Mbps and
wanting more bandwidth, hence the prebuffering pauses.

Next I created a CIFS/Samba map from the frontend's recordings directory to
that on the backend, so that when I play back the recording it uses the
CIFS share instead of MythTV's internal streaming protocol. Now the same
recording works fine, and if I view the bandwidth used with "iftop" it
shows around 6 Mbps, which is correct.

The strange thing is, I can have one show recorded which works just fine
with MythTV's streaming protocol, only using the appropriate amount of
bandwidth, and then the show right after it where everything about the
source should be the same tries to max out the wireless. I cannot identify
any differences that would cause this. The file itself is the same bitrate.

Does anyone have any ideas? This is on MythTV 0.23.1+fixes26437-0ubuntu1.

Nick