[mythtv-users] Is Btrfs a good choice for MythTV?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sat May 21 21:55:13 UTC 2011

On Saturday, 21 May 2011, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would say not at this time. The utility tools are no where near
> complete and the format has changed several times. I would currently
> use zfs over btrfs. Ext4 over both of these.

I'm not sure how anyone could compare ZFS and ext4 in the same
sentence to be honest. Nor prefer ext4 over ZFS should the choice be
available.

ZFS have features that are just not available in ext4 and never will
be. It does raid, can perform snapshots, can be exported from one disk
to the another easily (while online) and so on.

I've been using ZFS on OSs that do support it, but it's a resource
whore. But damn, it's a sweet file system.
Like make a snapshot; upgrade your OS; having issues? Restore from the
snapshot instantly.

At this stage, you can say that ZFS is only seriously available on
Solaris and FreeBSD.