[mythtv-users] Is Btrfs a good choice for MythTV?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri May 20 20:53:14 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 4:39 PM, John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 12:40 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm asking the question from a technical features and not from a "is
>>> it ready for prime time?" standpoint.
>>>
>>> The only Myth link I could find is:
>>>
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Btrfs
>>>
>>> Which is really a stub and doesn't go over and pro's or con's.
>>>
>>> It's getting pretty stable and unless there's a bad bug the filesystem
>>> format/structure is fixed and only forward compatible changes will be
>>> accepted. There's also limited fsck'ing although there's no link to
>>> fsck.btrfs yet (a least in Fedora).
>>>
>>> The current plan is to make it the default filesystem for Fedora 16
>>> (about 6 months from now) so the devs must have some confidence in it
>>> at this point.
>>
>> I would say not at this time. The utility tools are no where near
>> complete and the format has changed several times. I would currently
>> use zfs over btrfs. Ext4 over both of these.
>
> Does ext4 have a defrag tool now?

Not that I know of.

> I have a couple of very large storage groups for the video files, and
> it can get pretty fragmented.  I keep it under control with xfs'
> xfs_fsr tool

I used to do that when I had most of my MythTV storage on xfs but now
most of my storage is on ext4. I do not notice any issues with speed
however my drives are much faster now. I have 2TB drives as storage
instead of a mix of 3 to 5 x 750GB, 2 or so 500GB, and 5 or so 320GB
drives.

John

John