[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Prime

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Wed May 18 23:47:58 UTC 2011

On 05/18/2011 12:37 PM, Harry Devine wrote:
> On 5/18/2011 12:07 PM, Rod Smith wrote:
>> On 05/18/2011 09:17 AM, jr wrote:
>>> It looks like the HDHR Prime will be wonderful for those of us with
>>> access to copy freely broadcasts.  I am on Time-Warner in the Triad of
>>> NC, so I am probably out of luck in that regard, but would like to
>>> know for sure. I currently have a cable box (hooked up to an HDPVR and
>>> controlled via IR).  Is there a quick and dirty method by which I can
>>> discover the list of copy freely channels?  Or is the flag set on a
>>> show by show basis?
>> Eric Sharkey posted the following to the list on 5/2. It should answer
>> your question IF you've got a Motorola box. It worked as claimed on my
>> DCH3200. It also worked via the remote control, FWIW.
>>
>>> If you have a Motorola based STB you can enter diagnostic mode
>>> (usually by pushing the power button to turn the box off, then pushing
>>> select or ok on the front panel a couple of times within two seconds
>>> of pushing the power button).  That will bring up a menu.  Option "d06
>>> Current Channel Status" will show information about the current
>>> channel, including the copy control information "CCI" which will have
>>> hexadecimal values which can be interpreted as described here:
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Control_Information
>>
> Would the scanfw application that is online show this information as
> well?  I currently have a Motorola STB with an HD-PVR, mainly because
> 90% of what I record can only come from the STB.  Only a few shows are
> available on my HDHR.  If I could get some of those shows via the Prime,
> I'd order one in a heartbeat.
>
> Thanks!
> Harry

I tried to use scanfw, but it keeps failing.  The error says:

hdevine at hdevine-desktop:~$ sudo mythtv.firewire.channels.pl > channels.txt
Couldn't communicate with 192.168.1.200 on port 6543:
IO::Socket::INET::MythTV: connect: Connection refused

It did this with both the backend running or stopped.  I was trying to
generate the channels file that scanfw needs.

So, I tried to look at my STB diag screen.  I turned it off and hit OK
within 2 seconds and got the screen up.  When I choose "Interface
status", it says that Copy Control is set to Copy Free, and 5C
implementation is set to No.  The Current Channel Status option shows
the last 2 channels that each tuner was on, but I don't see anything
about any Copy Free.  I do see CCI is set to 0x00 though.

With all of that being said, based on what I see above, should I even
entertain the thought of an HDHR Prime at this time?

Thanks,
Harry