[mythtv-users] Playback Pauses and MySQL

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed May 18 19:00:55 UTC 2011

On Wed, 18 May 2011 14:53:44 -0400, Ray Parrish <rparrish at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On my main Frontend/Backend, I have been experiencing the same long
> pauses during playback that others have. On this system specifically,
> I have tracked down the pauses to database-intensive activity,
> specifically running mythlink.pl. I have a cron job set to run at 5
> and 35 minutes past the hour with these arguments:
>
> mythlink.pl --link /mythtv/names --format "\%T \%- \%Y-\%m-\%d \%-
>
> When it runs, playback hangs for a good 20-30 seconds.

Mythlink.pl should only be running one big query, and it shouldn't be an
intensive one.  Processing might take a while, but it's all CPU inside
perl, and shouldn't have any effect on recording.  Adding and deleting
symlinks should be cheap on any filesystem.  Have you ever checked to see
if you are swapping heavily when this is happening?