[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Prime up for pre-order at Amazon

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Wed May 4 03:05:41 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 2:10 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:

> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Don Lewis <dl-mythtv at catspoiler.org>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> The Silicondust folks were kind enough to update our libraries about a
> >> year ago to support the device.  As I understand it, several of their
> >> employees have been testing the device with MythTV since then.  Support
> >> exists the same as before, with MythTV accessing the device directly
> >> over the network, and no drivers required.
> >
> > Cool!
> >
> > Does anyone know if the Myth will be able to do overlapping recordings
> > on the same channel using the same tuner with the HDHR Prime?  It works
> > with the current HDHR, but I don't remember if Myth needs to use the
> > virtual tuner feature.
>
> In another thread on this list, Raymond Wagner wrote this:
>
>  I don't know if this is a technical limitation of the CableCard system,
>  or just one in Silicondust's design.  The HDHomeRun Prime has two
>  operating modes.  With no installed card, it functions just like a
>  3-tuner HDHomeRun.  Each tuner can record multiple streams through
>  multirec, up to the soft limit of 5 imposed by MythTV.  With a card
>  installed, each tuner only allows a single stream, meaning you can only
>  record three shows simultaneously.
>
> So, yes and no.
>
> Eric
>
> The first part of that paragraph is awesome and I hope that SD really
showcases that feature - If I'm reading it correctly, it works as a 3-tuner
QAM recorder out of the box, correct? And it has an internal splitter so it
only needs one coax input? I plan on renting a cable card when I buy one,
but I just wanted to make sure that I'm understanding this feature
correctly.