[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Prime up for pre-order at Amazon

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed May 4 04:05:20 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Matt Emmott" <memmott at gmail.com>

> The first part of that paragraph is awesome and I hope that SD
> really showcases that feature - If I'm reading it correctly, it works as a
> 3-tuner QAM recorder out of the box, correct? And it has an internal splitter
> so it only needs one coax input? I plan on renting a cable card when I buy
> one, but I just wanted to make sure that I'm understanding this feature
> correctly.

It's one box, with one F-connector and one Ethernet, and has 3 physical tuners.

If you put in a Cablecard, then each physical tuner can pass one decrypted
Program Stream to the Mythbox for recording.

If you don't put in a Cablecard, then each physical tuner can pass one
Transport Stream to the Mythbox for multirec processing (a "mux" or
"multiplex"), but while you can record up to $SOFTMUXLIMIT programs from
each of those three multiplexes, none of them can be encrypted.

So it's either a 3-tuner encrypted-QAM box, or a "15"-tuner clear-QAM
box, but not both.  If you want lots of programs, and have good muxes
for that, but you *still* want to record encrpyted things, you'll need
two (or the upcoming rackmount model which effectively *is* two),
with a Cablecard in only one.

Cheers,
-- jra