[mythtv-users] Tuner Schedules

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Mar 17 17:44:28 UTC 2011

On 03/17/2011 01:17 PM, David Engel wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 11:54:20AM -0400, Spencer Herzberg wrote:
>>> There is currently no support for doing anything like this.  You could
>>> try Simon's idea of selectively removing guide data for the times you
>>> don't want MythTV to record.  You could also use Custom Priorities
>>> (http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html#Custom Priority) to
>>> discourage MythTV from recording at certain times, but that's not
>>> guaranteed.  Finally, I do have a planned feature that could be used
>>> to do what you want, but there's no telling when or if it will get
>>> added.
>> Well until your feature is added, I think I will end up removing guide data.
>> What do you think is best, changing the data as it comes in from Schedules
>> Direct, or just removing the schedule data directly from the database?
> It's really up to you and whichever you think is easier --
> intercepting wget and editing the xml or removing entries from the
> data base after the fact.

Actually, rather than intercepting wget, it would probably be a lot
easier to use tv_grab_na_dd (I think you need an argument, like, --raw
or --dd something) to get the raw data, then edit it, then use
mythfilldatabase --dd-file to load the data.  Just specify your own
script as the "mythfilldatabase command" setting in mythtv-setup.

>> When the tv schedule grabber from Mythtv runs, does it clear out all of the
>> old data or append to it? How often is this run?
> It clears the old data, if any, before adding the new data.  By
> default, it's run about once a day in the time window requested by
> Schedules Direct/TMS during the previous run.

And because of the complexity involved with trying to remove data and
ensure reschedules are done properly, I /highly/ recommend you lock the
tuners, instead, I in my other post.

Or, a /better/ solution, would be to get your family to start to enjoy
(and trust) MythTV--so that they find out that watching TV as it's
broadcast "live" is a waste of their time (something that becomes
abundantly clear when you have a bunch of good recordings with good
commercial flagging data, including recordings that aired when the
family wasn't around to watch them).  :)

Mike