[mythtv-users] F14, recent kernel upgrade, pvr250 lirc module not found

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Mar 15 03:55:42 UTC 2011

On Mar 14, 2011, at 11:33 PM, Harry Orenstein wrote:

> On Monday, March 14, 2011 12:03:53 pm David Krainess wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> I am trying to understand "modprobe ir-kbd-i2c 1" makes the grey Hauppage
>> remote work along with the statement in another thread that lirc_i2c is
>> redundant of ir-kbd-i2c.  I cannot get the same functionality,  meaning,
>> irrecord does not recognize key presses on my 15-2116 (0081) remote
>> whereas it irrecord did on lirc_i2c.  I blindly guess "modprobe ir-kbd-i2c
>> 1" was implemented in a way to match to the default devinput lircd.conf
>> file get standardization.  Do I have this right?
>>

> Actually, it's 'modprobe ir-kbd-i2c hauppauge=1', but it's not necessary if
> you create a custom keymap.
>
>> That being said (and I am not way off base), I have a jp1 enabled remote.
>> I am going to try to get the 15-2116 to use the same protocol and config
>> as the Hauppage grey remote; I hope there are enough keys in the
>> implementation to match the 15-2116.
>>

> Shouldn't be necessary.  As previously stated, create your own keymap.  The
> ir_rc5_decoder module should decode all RC-5 codes, it's mapping them to
> keycodes that's the issue.

ir_rc5_decoder is irrelevant here. The i2c-based receivers actually do
the rc5 decode in hardware and pass along the resulting scancodes (which
is why they only work with specific types of signals).

>> You mention that you don't use lirc, I assume you mean application
>> integration of lirc, but you are using lirc to simulate keyboard strokes.
>> Using multiple lirc enabled applications, I prefer the application
>> integration of lirc, rather than sending keystrokes.  This allows for
>> easier remote functionality between those applications, IMHO.
>>

> No.  No lirc at all.  ir-kbd-i2c with RC-5 enabled as the protocol will allow
> you to pass keycodes directly to the OS (or any application) without running
> an lirc daemon.  With the proper keymap I just emulate all "normal" key
> presses as if the remote is a keyboard.  So "p" is play, "i" is info, "enter"
> is select, "m" is menu, etc.  See the keymap file I previously posted.  If you
> download and compile v4l-utils (since the package is not available for F14)

As of earlier today, its finally been built, but isn't yet showing up in the
repo.

http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/v4l-utils/0.8.3/

--
Jarod Wilson