[mythtv-users] HDPVR Samples?

greg at nodecam.com greg at nodecam.com
Fri Mar 11 16:37:40 UTC 2011

>> > It's a Dell Studio Hybrid - Core 2 Duo 2Ghz with intel graphics.  It's
>> > able to play back H.264 HDTV that my current (IPTV) provider outputs,
>> but
>> > I'm going to have to switch away in the near term.
>>
>> That ship should be capable of decoding moderate bitrate HDPVR output,
>> on the order of 10-11Mbps.  Full 13.5Mbps content will be too much for
>> it to handle.  The bitrate is controllable, so just set it to something
>> below the maximum your hardware can handle.
>
>     When I was doing CPU decoding of HD-PVR recordings, whether or not the
> CPU could keep up seemed to be dependent on the particular content more
> than
> anything else. Things like fast pans seemed to really be a problem. At the
> same bitrate, some shows would be fine while others would stutter.
>
>     Although I never tried to tweak my bitrate on the high def stuff.

Well, based on the "minimum system requirements" on the Hauppauge website,
I pulled the trigger and ordered a couple of HDPVRs.  Worst case scenario,
I have to buy a Crystal decoder for the frontend too I guess.

I wasn't able to find any samples that were still available in that AVS
forum thread - for future mailing list archaeologists.

Greg