[mythtv-users] Surprise: cannot play some recordings in VLC

Stefan Wolpert mythtv at wolps.com
Wed Mar 9 02:55:54 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 1:15 PM, Jay Foster <jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> VLC manages to play most of the recordings I make, just not these NFL
>> games.  I happen to be running a development snapshot right now, though this
>> was also true of my 0.24 installation.  You might want to give it another
>> chance (not that my recent experience is necessarily encouraging :^P  )
>>

> I'm still running 0.21-fixes and have observed this too.  Some HDHR
> recordings will play in VLC (and mplayer) and some won't.  What I have
> discovered is that if I do a lossless transcode of the file, then it will
> play fine in VLC and mplayer.
[snip]

I just started having this exact problem after installing updates in
Ubuntu; everything was working fine before the updates.  I record
everything via a HDHR.

Most of my recordings do not play via VLC unless lossless transcoded,
however some original recordings do play via VLC.  (e.g. Seinfeld on
WFXT will not play, nor will Jeopardy! on WBZ, but V on WCVB plays
fine).
I'm running 0.23-fixes on (well, now) Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS.

Let me know of any ideas or ways to debug this.  Thanks!