[mythtv-users] How is this pricing possible?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 19:53:55 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 2:45 PM, Bobby Gill <bobbygill at rogers.com> wrote:
>> I would still get them. Right now my recommendations are Hitachi
>>
>> drives or any current generation SATA drive that is not made by
>> Seagate.
>>
>> Backup all important / irreplaceable data and monitor the SMART raw data
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.
>>
>> Keep an eye on
>>
>> 05 - Reallocated Sectors Count
>>
>> This value can be > 0 but if grows daily that is a sure sign the drive
>> is having problems.
>>
>> 196 - Reallocation Event Count
>> 197 - Current Pending Sector Count
>> 198 - Uncorrectable Sector Count
>>
>> The three above parameters should normally all be 0. However sometimes
>> I have seen new drives have some values in these if you read a sector
>> that was never written. A full format or writing to every sector
>> corrects this.
>>
>> 199- UltraDMA CRC Error Count
>> This is a sign of a cabling or SATA failure. You want this number to
>> be 0 but under 100 probably is not too bad over a drives 5 year
>> lifespan.
>>
>> On top of all of this all drives have a URE rate which is on the order
>> of every 20 or so TB of data read from the drive 1 sector will be
>> unreadable.
>>
>> John
>
> Thanks for the info! Just checking on my laptop, here is my smartctl
> results: http://pastebin.com/mBNmv05r
>
> I am just confused as to whether I should be checking the results of the
> column VALUE (4th to the left) or the very last column, RAW_VALUE? I am
> setting up a RAID array in the coming weeks for the first time so knowing
> what to pay attention to for HD health is sure timely, thanks for your help.

I look at the last column (although a second user in this thread said
he ignores that and looks at the thresholds...). To me your results
say that on 5 occasions your drive had trouble reading some sectors
and in the process it reallocated 41 total sectors. This number is not
that much but I would keep an eye on that. For the guy that looks at
thresholds I believe it means 95% health on this item.

John