[mythtv-users] Random missed recordings

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri Jun 17 01:42:57 UTC 2011

On 6/16/2011 17:39, Richard Shaw wrote:
> As remember reading on the list that it's better to stagger the
> virtual tuners

It is better to have your virtual tuners listed sequentially.
Recordings simply choose the first available tuner, they do not
intelligently select a virtual on the same physical.  If the virtuals
are sequential, a new recording will first try an in-use tuner, and then
fall through to a fresh tuner.  If your virtuals are staggered, the
fresh tuners will all get used up, and then you have to hope that
further recordings happen to fall on a multiplex already tuned.

The thing you are talking about is in reference to live tv use.  Live tv
prefers a fresh tuner, so it does not get locked into a particular
multiplex.  If you want to configure your virtuals to be beneficial for
live tv, add all your virtual tuners sequentially for recording
purposes, then add one additional virtual tuner for each physical.  Then
set live tv to 'avoid conflicts with recordings', so it pulls from the
bottom of the list rather than the top.

> One thing I noticed is that it now refers to the HDHR tuners by IP
> instead of address though I'm not sure that has anything to do with my
> problem.

There is a known issue between MythTV and the HDHR libraries where you
must use the autodetection mechanism.  If you define your HDHR using the
IPs, you will always access the first tuner, regardless of what you
specified in the card setup.  This results in resource conflicts that is
known to call all sorts of strange recording issues.  Go back through,
and let mythtv-setup autodetect the 8-digit serial.  Note that your
backend must be on the same subnet as the HDHR for this to function.