[mythtv-users] Jetway motherboard IR receiver

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Jun 3 04:09:51 UTC 2011

On Jun 2, 2011, at 11:10 AM, lists.md301 wrote:

> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 11:13 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> On May 31, 2011, at 9:46 AM, lists.md301 wrote:
>

> > Patch applied cleanly to 2.6.38-gentoo-r5, and I was able to select the new fintek_cir module option.  Two wrinkles I encountered.  First, using my kernel oldconfig when compiling the new one, it built the rc-core stuff into the kernel, instead of as modules.  My bad, as I should have paid closer to attention to the first time I ran menuconfig.
> >
> > Second, this was my first attempt at using a devinput device, which led to a couple of issues.  Not sure in hindsight whether it was absolutely necessary (Jared may tell me it was),
>
> It wasn't. The fintek-cir driver works with the rc-core ir-lirc-codec plugin,
> which provides a classic /dev/lirc0 interface to the hardware.
>

> I figured out this was still available, eventually, when I noticed the lirc0 interface being created.  However, the one faulty bit of extrapolation on my part, from my reading of the Gentoo LIRC wiki, was taking the advice that the lirc_dev was not required, and that its kernel module should be deleted, when using a devinput device.

Well, the part about it not being required in devinput mode was true, but the
part saying it should be deleted was flat out wrong.

> I'm happy with the keymapping I created.  A good re-learning experience.  You are right that such things end up being a personal preference.  Wasn't too difficult to do.  And with using the remote as a devinput device, I noticed (obviously) that key presses also show up on a console/terminal window.  At least the up arrow, as I was able to bring up the mythfrontend text on the xterm CLI with it.

Um... If you can use the remote in an xterm, then lircd isn't bound to it. When
it is, lircd takes exclusive control of the device, and the native input presses
are consumed by lircd and converted into lirc keys...

> One final comment/question:  part of the reason I ended up using the Fintek as a devinput device is that I was unsure as to what device to compile/select in lirc 9.0 to work with it, for the /dev/lirc0 interface.  I didn't see anything in the documentation available, realizing that doc often lags functionality.  I was under the impression that choosing an MCE USB would NOT work (since that would select the wrong kernel driver), and I thought my debug testing proved that, but I may have been trying that with 0.8.7 which would not have been aware of the newest drivers.  Maybe choosing NOTHING is the correct option?  If you could clarify that a bit more, it might be helpful to others.  Haven't had time to retrace my steps to test whether my /dev/lirc0 would work now that I have 0.9.0 installed, given the correct lircd.conf file (but which one?).

I should really add a new target to setup.sh in the lirc source for "my kernel
provides the drivers I need" or something. I usually skip setup.sh and use configure
directly, with --with-driver=userspace, which actually builds a universal-ish lircd
that has support for all possible userspace and kernelspace drivers. If you only
want support for /dev/lircX, you want --with-driver=default, I believe.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com