[mythtv-users] State of mytharchive in .24-fixes

Alex Butcher mythlist at assursys.co.uk
Wed Jun 1 10:12:14 UTC 2011

On Wed, 1 Jun 2011, Ian Evans wrote:

> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 6:45 AM, Alex Butcher <mythlist at assursys.co.uk> wrote:
>> 1) Are you using Project-X as your demuxer/cutter? It's far superior to
>> mythtranscode.
>
> Switched over to projectx and I was able to create the DVD (yay!)

Good, good.

> Just some notes on the process so I can see what else I need to fix.
>
> 1) The process ended with "chmod: changing permissions of
> `/var/lib/mytharchive/temp/': Operation not permitted" What
> permissions do I need to check/set?

IIRC, the MythArchive temp directory, and everything in it,  needs to be
owned and writeable by the user which the mythbackend process is running as.

> 2) The font on the DVD menu is jaggy and unreadable.

Try a different DVD theme, make sure you have all the necessary fonts
installed (just FreeSans.ttf, I think).

> 3) Even though I created a cutlist and saved it, commercials were
> still there. Does projectx not follow the cutlist?

It will, if you tell MythArchive to use the cutlist. Press the 'c' key to
enable use of the cutlist for each of the selected recordings.

There have been various bugs introduced in various versions of MythTV with
respect to the cutlist. You may need the changes from the second ticket I
licked to.

> 4) Strangely, MythTV's "Play DVD" didn't appear to work. It said
> "Please wait" and went back to the Optical Menu.

I think that usually means you're missing libdvdcss, libdvdnav or libdvdread
(I'm not sure which one(s)).  Or, conceivably, the path to the DVD drive
isn't properly configured in MythFrontend.

> Placing it in a standalone DVD player worked, though it was quite a few
> seconds before the menu.

Different DVD players do things differently, slower, etc.

> Thanks.

HTH,
Alex