[mythtv-users] Backend setup for win-hvr-950Q

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Sat Jul 30 13:43:36 UTC 2011

On 11-07-29 10:43 PM, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:
..
> I can definitely run backend without any cards configured here,
> version 0.24.1_p20110726.

Same here with latest 0.24-fixes from git.

So back to the original poster.  Mythtv currently fails to work
with most analog capture devices, the HVR-950Q included.

But the digital side should still work, though it does take
a bit of arcane knowledge.  I once posted a step-by-step guide
for both the analog and digital sides, and that mini-guide has
made it to many mailing lists around the net.  Google might still
be able to find it, but I don't have it with me just now.

So.. from memory, there are a few things to pay attention to:

1. Ensure the kernel driver is loading without errors.
In your case, from the info posted thus far, I think this step is okay.

2. Ensure the kernel driver can find/load the "firmware" file for the 950Q.
This step is trickier.  If you post the "dmesg" output from your system,
after trying to use the 950Q after a fresh reboot, then we should be able
to tell from that.

3. There's a secret kernel module parameter REQUIRED for correct operation
with mythtv.  So create a file called /etc/modprobe.d/hvr950q.conf
and put this one line inside it:

options xc5000 no_poweroff=1

reboot afterward and try again.

4. That should be enough (above), but keep in mind that there will be
a 5-second delay on the first use of the device in mythtv(-setup) after reboot.

Cheers