[mythtv-users] Loss of program guide on install of extra USb DVB tuners

Marc Tousignant myrdhn at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 13:47:38 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of David Watkins
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:31 AM
To: Discussion about MythTV
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Loss of program guide on install of extra USb
DVB tuners

On 26 July 2011 11:47, craig lister <craigjl77 at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Oh, I didn't realise that you could re-use sources. I assumes that
> source meant output to record from the DVB...

(Note that this list has a convention of posting replies below the quotes
that they refer to.)

I think of  'Source' as referring to the source of the Schedule information.
That's not quite right either but it does make it more intuitive that you
can have several capture devices connected to the same source.

The output from the  DVB corresponds most closely to the tuner ids which you
create in the capture card setup.  You probably have two or more virtual
tuners on each dvb device.

So yes, connect your new capture devices to your existing source and you
should be away (hopefully) _______________________________________________

Even the use of 2 different types of tuners can be facilitated with a 2
lineups in Myth (referred to as a source) but a single lineup on your
schedule provider.
In my setup I have 3 DVB cards and 1 HDPVR. To make this work I have to have
2 sources in Myth, but on schedules direct I only have 1 lineup which
consists of all the channels I can receive no matter the source.
What you then do on the backend is remove the channels from each source that
cannot be received.
For example:
Say I can get channels 1 - 10 factoring in all sources, but that the DVB
cards can only get 1 - 7 and the HDPVR can get 1 - 10. What I would do is
remove channels 8 9 and 10 from the source that matches up with the DVB
cards.
What this means is that when my lineup is downloaded it caches channels 1 -
10 on the download, it then populates the first source with channels 1 - 7
and then populates channels 1 - 10 on the second source. This both speeds up
the population of the database as well as cuts down on bandwidth because you
don't have to download again as it is cached in memory.

MarcT