[mythtv-users] Sandy Bridge Graphics w/MythTV

Martin Bene Martin.Bene at icomedias.com
Thu Jul 21 06:51:49 UTC 2011

Hi,

> Is anyone out there using the on-chip GPU (HD 2000/3000) of the new Intel Sandy Bridge processors for their MythTV?

Short answer: tried it, gave up.

Long answer: I built a new combined frontend/backend around an ASUSTeK P8H67-V Board with i5-2500 CPU and hooked up the TV via HDMI. Installed OS is Mythbuntu 11.04

* Display + Sound sort of worked right out of the box.
* Display works only at 1080i, 720p resolution doesn't work even though it's included in the configuration received from the TV.
* very noticeable tearing in top third of display, couldn't get rid of it
* a few times per hour the TV would turn black for an instant
* finally gave up and added a passive GeForce 210 Card, all problems gone. No more tearing, both 1080i and 720p available, no more black frames.

Bye, Martin
Disable Disclaimer.icomedias