[mythtv-users] Mythweb finds no remote controllable frontends

Ramon Hofer ramonhofer at bluewin.ch
Wed Jul 20 16:23:00 UTC 2011

On 07/20/2011 05:55 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 07/20/2011 06:12 AM, Ramon Hofer wrote:

>>> You'd need to install mythtv-setup (from whatever package your packager
>>> makes it available).  This may well mean installing mythbackend, too.
>>> However, you won't make your frontend into a backend/frontend
>>> combo--that would imply you would actually /run/ mythbackend.  Instead,
>>> you will only install mythtv-setup, run it on your frontend host, then
>>> use that to set the IP address setting--as if you were configuring a
>>> backend on the host.
>> Ah, I see! Backends are of course only the machines that run mythbackend.
>>
>> Do I get it right: I have to install mythbackend on my frontends, run
>> mythtv-setup on each of them to set their IP addresses that they'll be
>> stored in the DB? Then I can patch mythweb that it'll look the IP
>> adresses up in the DB and uses them instead of the hostnames to connect.
> Yes.  That would work.
>
>> But wouldn't it be easier and more logical to solve my hostname
>> resolving problem?
>> Or even write the hostnames and IPs directly into the DB?
> Well, that would fix the issue for you--but not for all the other users
> who lack name resolution on their networks.  This is why we generally
> try to use the in-database information to find hosts, rather than just
> assume that every network has name resolution properly configured.

Aha, I thought it would be only my problem.

This sounds like a major change in the mythtv code. Since there must be
a mechanism that the frontend sends it's IP when connecting to the
backend and then the whole interface would have to be changed so that
the backend only uses IP addresses.
I haven't looked at all at the source code. But this is how I imagine it...

Cheers
Ramon