[mythtv-users] Mythweb finds no remote controllable frontends

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jul 20 15:55:58 UTC 2011

On 07/20/2011 06:12 AM, Ramon Hofer wrote:
> On 07/19/2011 05:02 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 07/19/2011 09:28 AM, Ramon Hofer wrote:
>>> But I still don't understand how I could run mythtv-setup on the
>>> frontend since there's no mythtv-setup on my frontends?
>>> I must understand it wrong that I have to set my frontends to
>>> backend/frontend combos?
>>>
>>> Sorry for my slow understanding.
>> You'd need to install mythtv-setup (from whatever package your packager
>> makes it available).  This may well mean installing mythbackend, too.
>> However, you won't make your frontend into a backend/frontend
>> combo--that would imply you would actually /run/ mythbackend.  Instead,
>> you will only install mythtv-setup, run it on your frontend host, then
>> use that to set the IP address setting--as if you were configuring a
>> backend on the host.
>
> Ah, I see! Backends are of course only the machines that run mythbackend.
>
> Do I get it right: I have to install mythbackend on my frontends, run
> mythtv-setup on each of them to set their IP addresses that they'll be
> stored in the DB? Then I can patch mythweb that it'll look the IP
> adresses up in the DB and uses them instead of the hostnames to connect.

Yes.  That would work.

> But wouldn't it be easier and more logical to solve my hostname
> resolving problem?
> Or even write the hostnames and IPs directly into the DB?

Well, that would fix the issue for you--but not for all the other users
who lack name resolution on their networks.  This is why we generally
try to use the in-database information to find hosts, rather than just
assume that every network has name resolution properly configured.

Mike