[mythtv-users] hardware considerations: fast CPU vs nvidia/vdpau?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 14:33:32 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 10:18 AM, David Watkins <watkinshome at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Slightly OT, but what stutter issues?  Like when you start a recording/video
>> and the audio starts for a moment, then picture goes black (for screen
>> refresh rate change to 60/24Hz) then to "Please wait..."?  Or is it when you
>> bring up the OSD for the video/program?  If the latter, then I assumed the
>> lag was pulling the program info from the database?  Thanks!
> I think it's referring to the recent thread on "Random Short Pauses",.

yes that one. in 0.24 it is apparently an issue with VDPAU that causes
short pauses/stuttering. there is also an issue with start/end of
recording situations as well which is an issue with the backend. the
dev's apparently know about both issues and it looks like the
start/end situation is solved in "trunk" (or whatever it's called in
git now), the VDPAU issue may have been solved there as well, but
that's not quite so clear yet.

Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,
Mailinglist etiquette -