[mythtv-users] hardware considerations: fast CPU vs nvidia/vdpau?

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Mon Jul 18 04:08:48 UTC 2011

> This is not an advantage.  This is the user running the antiquated Xv
> video renderer, rather than the OpenGL renderer.

OK, well I've been running VDPAU for probably a few years now. When I
swtiched, that was one of the advantages. Before I posted, I quickly
switched back to CPU++ and tested if it was still that way, and indeed
it was. I didn't know there were now different ways to do it to get
that advantage in CPU rendering. Good to know, I guess, if only for
future reference.

> Could you give some specific examples of this?  I've not heard of any such
> disks.  I would more guess your decoding profile was set to "Max CPUs" of
> 1,
> preventing use of multi-threaded decoding.

It happened quite a bit, on several movies. I definitely had it set it
set to 2 CPUs. Some movies I'd see both CPUs plugging along. In other
movies, it would just be one sitting idle. Some movies change from
scene to scene. I think transformers 2 was one specific example. It
would playback using only 1 core for the first few chapters of the
movies (and thus was incredibly choppy), then suddenly switch to 2
core decoding and play fine from there on out.Here was the post I made
about it at the time:

Ron Frazier