[mythtv-users] hardware considerations: fast CPU vs nvidia/vdpau?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Jul 18 03:34:13 UTC 2011

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 23:25:45 -0400, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net>
wrote:
>> You missed nVidia's greatest advantage - the VDPAU Advanced
deinterlacers
>> (and indeed, even the lesser Temporal 2x deinterlacer) are visibly
better
>> than Yadif or Greedy.
>
> That's one of 3 advantages that immediately come to mind. The other two:
> 1) With VDPAU, you get a nice, hi-res OSD no matter what the source
> resolution of the recording. With software playback, it's scaled to
> the video res, so on 480i content, you'll get an ugly, low res OSD.

This is not an advantage.  This is the user running the antiquated Xv
video
renderer, rather than the OpenGL renderer. Anyone with sufficient GPU
power
should be using the OpenGL renderer which doesn't suffer from that issue.
This is part of the reason XBMC already has, and we were considering,
dropping
the software painter and Xv renderer.

> 2) Not sure how much this is an issue with the latest processors, but
> on my frontend (high end core 2 duo), I could not playback a lot of
> BluRay content because it was such high bitrate and was encoded
> without slicing.

Could you give some specific examples of this?  I've not heard of any such
disks.  I would more guess your decoding profile was set to "Max CPUs" of
1,
preventing use of multi-threaded decoding.