[mythtv-users] mythnews lockups

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat Jul 16 19:25:27 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Raymond Wagner" <raymond at wagnerrp.com>

> On 7/16/2011 12:31, Ismo Tanskanen wrote:
> > I don't think it is the same, because my computer hardlocks
> > competely, and I can't use pkill. Also I don't see news feeds on the
> > left, it lockups right after executing mythnews.
>
> The only thing I know of in Linux that will prevent a 'kill -KILL'
> from working would be something deadlocked waiting for disk access.

...or in the driver for some other "fast" device, yes.

But, by "hard locks", Ismo, what exactly do you mean?  Mouse pointer stops
tracking?  Pings stop being responded to?  Powerswitch won't turn the machine
off?  Just how hard is "hard"?  Cause the most common cause for a lock that
people call "hard" is, um, "hard"ware.

If you haven't already done an overnight Memtest+ run, let me recommend that
you do so, and see what happens.  The Ultimate Boot CD has several other
diagnostic and stress test programs suitable for diagnosing this sort of
problem, as well.

Cheers,
-- jra