[mythtv-users] Frontend frustration

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 20:13:05 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 7:29 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:

> You're missing the tremendous amount of software coding and testing
> work needed to support that.  It's a huge job to maintain
> compatibility across releases.  Limited players can do it because of
> the much smaller scope of what they attempt to do.  mythtvplayer is a
> small fraction of a full mythtv frontend.

It also just assumes that nothing will ever change in the field orders
in the protocol-- most third party frontends don't actually test/add
support for new protocols at all.  This is a broken assumption as, for
example, I committed some changes just last weekend that will (not
intentionally) break players and third party frontends faking the
protocol without actually supporting the version they claim to when
run against .25... and under those circumstances, anything could
happen-- best case scenario the alternate frontend doesn't work--
worst case scenario the alternate frontend is trying to do something
not read-only and corrupts your entire Myth database.

Robert