[mythtv-users] Frontend frustration

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Thu Jul 7 19:29:36 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 9:12 AM, OneBob <onebob at gmail.com> wrote:
> The point is I can't see why the frontend can't have some flag that lets it
> run against an older version, after all Sudu's mythtvplayer
> (http://www.sudu.dk/mythtvplayer/index.php?page=home) works even under wine
> (although no video) and pulls back the recordings etc???
>
> Am I missing something?

You're missing the tremendous amount of software coding and testing
work needed to support that.  It's a huge job to maintain
compatibility across releases.  Limited players can do it because of
the much smaller scope of what they attempt to do.  mythtvplayer is a
small fraction of a full mythtv frontend.

Eric