[mythtv-users] Strange MythMusic File Behavior

Martin Lynch martin.lynch.toronto at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 16:31:48 UTC 2011

> I've noticed that MythMusic creates a new folder called "music" in the
> >  folder I have it pointing to and then makes copies of the songs I've
> >  selected as part of my playlist. This seems very bizarre to me - why
> >  would MythMusic need to  actually_copy_  the files? Can't it simply
> >  creates symlinks? And for that matter, can't it simply use a text file
> >  listing the files which constitute the playlist? Anyone know if this
> >  behavior is intended? Does your music directory contain a "music"
> >  folder with a bunch (1.6GB, in my case!) of copied files? Wondering if
> >  this is a bug I ought to report.
> >
> >  Am running 0.23-fixes (24158) on Ubuntu 10.04.
> >
> What you are seeing certainly isn't normal behavior. MythMusic doesn't
> copy any files or create symlinks when creating playlists. The only time
> MythMusic will copy files to your music folder is when you rip a cd or
> import tracks.
Firstly, I'm sorry it was my question that prompted some ingrate to
refer to the MythTV community (a community which has generously invested
tens of thousands of hours into making a free product better!) as the
"linux talaban (sic)" and then suggested MythTV ought to have some sort
of "windows" UI (which at least gave me a rather good chuckle). I'm not
sure what proportion of ignorance to arrogance the recipe calls for when
making a prick like that, but it's clearly more than a dash of each.

Secondly, thanks very much for your reply to my original question, Paul,
and sorry for the delayed response - have been out of town on business.
This explains what has happened and possibly sheds light on the real
problem: when I added tracks to my music folder and then had MythMusic
scan for new tracks, they were not available for selection in the
"Select Music" section, so I thought perhaps I was required to import
the tracks. So I pointed the import feature at my music directory and
told it to add all new tracks. I gather at that point it copied
everything there to a new folder called "music". Clearly my bad. I
wonder why my scan didn't update the tracks available in "Select
Music"...any ideas?

--

Kind regards,

Martin