[mythtv-users] Is MythTV slowing down my SSH?

Dave M G martin at autotelic.com
Sat Jan 22 04:26:35 UTC 2011

MythTV Users,

I have a Mythbuntu (10.10) that I often connect to by SSH in order to
run various programs, such as Amarok. My Mythbuntu machine is where I
store all my media, and it does some other file server duties and other
things.

In recent weeks, I've noticed a very significant slowdown in terms of
response time when using an application over SSH. I have tried various
fixes to SSH configuration files, but they have not helped.

And then I came across this forum post:

In it, the poster describes an SSH problem very similar to mine. He then
goes on to say that he solved the problem by fixing a corrupt MythTV
database.

I looked for how to check if a MythTV database is corrupt, I came across
this page about character set corruption:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Fixing_Corrupt_Database_Encoding

I don't think character encoding is the issue because according to their
description, I have the correct encoding settings:

Server characterset:    latin1
Db     characterset:    utf8
Client characterset:    latin1
Conn.  characterset:    latin1

However, I wondered if it was possible that my database could be
corrupted in some other way. I looked around the net, and this is where
it became more vague as to what might be wrong and how to fix it.

Questions:

Has anyone ever heard of MythTV/MySQL adversely affecting SSH before?
How likely is this to be the cause, and if it is, is there a way I can
make get SSH to be unaffected?

Are there any other likely tests I can do to see if somehow the MySQL
has been corrupted?

If it is true that I do have a corrupt database, and it is affecting
SSH, I would be willing to just blow away my current database and start
from scratch. I don't actually have any data in there at the moment that
I care about. Is there a simple way to do that?

Thank you for any advice.

--
Dave M G