[mythtv-users] OTA/DTV tuner-card related questions, recommendations

Jim Morton Jim at Morton.hrcoxmail.com
Thu Jan 20 21:06:38 UTC 2011

On 1/20/2011 3:45 PM, James Miller wrote:
> Mike wrote:
>> You may not have to upgrade your switch/hub/router. The HDHR only
>> needs to speak to your backend and only your backend needs to speak
>> to the HDHR, so if you have a spare PCI port on the motherboard just
>> buy a $5 network card and plug it in. Then use a simple cable* to
>> connect it to the HDHR. You'll need to run the HDHR on another subnet
>> thus some ethernet configuration changes needed but in practice they
>> aren't that difficult.
> Things are kind of cramped in the tiny case that houses my mythtv, but
> I suppose I could remove the air vent I've installed over the last
> available PCI slot and use it. And I've got PCI NIC's out the heehaw,
> so no need to buy anything there. I've done a fair amount of network
> set-up and admin here in my apt. and around the building so this
> project is likely within my competence--though I'd doubtless need to
> read up on some things. So, you've offered another interesting way of
> implementing the HDHR solution.
IMO, You really should not go down that road. This little switch here -
is all you need. Literally plug it in and it works. There is no setup at
all. It's $21.99 and has a $10 mail in rebate if you feel like playing
the rebate game.

Then you will have two extra ports for the next time you want to add

  Jim Morton