[mythtv-users] OTA/DTV tuner-card related questions, recommendations

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Thu Jan 20 20:45:04 UTC 2011

Mike wrote:

> You may not have to upgrade your switch/hub/router. The HDHR only needs
> to speak to your backend and only your backend needs to speak to the
> HDHR, so if you have a spare PCI port on the motherboard just buy a $5
> network card and plug it in. Then use a simple cable* to connect it to
> the HDHR. You'll need to run the HDHR on another subnet thus some
> ethernet configuration changes needed but in practice they aren't that
> difficult.

Things are kind of cramped in the tiny case that houses my mythtv, but I
suppose I could remove the air vent I've installed over the last available
PCI slot and use it. And I've got PCI NIC's out the heehaw, so no need to
buy anything there. I've done a fair amount of network set-up and admin
here in my apt. and around the building so this project is likely within
my competence--though I'd doubtless need to read up on some things. So,
you've offered another interesting way of implementing the HDHR solution.

> *OK, you may need a crossover cable or dongle. No biggie.

No shortage of crossover cables her either.

Thanks for your input, Mike.

James