[mythtv-users] Static Video storage - what taxonomy?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Jan 19 01:13:38 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 11:57:28AM +1100, Kingsley Turner wrote:
> Hi-yas,
>
> My video storage taxonomy is overloaded.
>
> I have "New", "Movies", "Kids", "Documentaries" and "TV Series".  A
> few subdircetories, but nothing to speak of.
>
> Overlap issues aside, it just doesn't work because I haven't deleted
> anything for 3 years.  So now finding anything is impossible, and
> there's Too Much Choice.  I ripped my entire DVD library, and when I
> buy new stuff, I basically just rip it first, watch it later.  So
> *everything* is on the MythBox.

     While there is some merit to this issue, that of a filesystem only
being able to sort on one candidate key rather than many, using there is
at least one good and suitable primary key. What that key is might be
different depending on who you ask, but it's always there.

> This system sucks, because something like a Travel-Cooking-TV-series
> can go in multiple places.

    Yes. However, I suspect that for you there is an option that rises
above all of the others.

    I find my problem is sorting through it all and forgetting that I
have stuff. The "smartlist" is handy in this respect and is something
that's pretty simple to fake.

> So ... how do *You* sort your static video?
>
> cheers,
> -kt
>

> IDEA: What I would really like is to be able to tag movies with
> whatever I want - Genres, Years, Actors names, Themes, etc.  That

   Some of that's already available. However, you may find that when
you have a lot of material that some of these alternate methods of
sorting video aren't all they're cracked up to be. You can also suffer
a sort of "metadata overload" when the information you're using is a
little too detailed.

> way if you have a cross-genre movie, it's still easy to sort and
> find.  And it doesn't matter which directory it's in.  So something
> like "I Sell The Dead" (2008) can sit in both "Comedy", "Horror",
> "2008", "Undead", "British".  "Barbie and The Three Musketeers"
> (2009) can be tagged "Barbie", "Kids", "2009", "OMG I Want That 90
> Minutes Back".
>
> I guess now someone is going to tell me that 0.24 supports this already.

    Some of it.

    Apparently there are 7271 actors listed in my collection including
6 different guys named Angus.