[mythtv-users] mytharchive dvd from HD-PVR

Teruel de Campo MD chusty at attglobal.net
Tue Jan 18 03:42:39 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 19:33 -0500, Will Dormann wrote:
> On 1/17/11 5:22 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
> >
> > Hi Will:  I see you have joined this thread.  We had a similar one last
> > week, but I'm afraid that I got confused by the HD-PVR and other similar
> > devices and didn't realize that the recordings here were h264.  Did you
> > try the script from the wiki that you asked about last week?  I didn't
> > comment, but since the author is Robert McNamara I think I would expect
> > it to do what is claimed, and still to be a valid approach.  That's
> > assuming the recording is 'clean', of course, and that changes in ffmpeg
> > or elsewhere haven't broken it recently.
>

> Hi John,
>
> I actually have not yet tried the script from the wiki
> ( http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:Iamlindoro )
>
> I think what initially turned me away from it was that the output was an
> MKV file.  That plus the comment about it is *maybe* working with 1080i
> material, which is what my HD content is.  But I suppose that
> MythArchive can perhaps open MKV files to create a DVD from?   Will it
> lose the metadata from the recording to use in the DVD menu, though?
>
> I've switched back to recording analog audio, which is fine as my amp
> isn't even digital, and I don't have to worry about the AC3 bug with
> ffmpeg.   But I'd like to see it work at some point.
>
> Cutting commercials first or not, DVD burning will be an overnight thing
> either way.  So I haven't tinkered with it much.
>

> -WD

Will and John,

I made more than 30 dvds last year using the script from Auric site. The
whole thing worked OK (I believe I was using myth 0.22) most of the
time. The cases that failed were related mainly to the location of the
cuts. Without nothing to based on except trial and error, I tried to
avoid "black" frames.

These are the places I got the script and setup info from.

http://www.pcmediacenter.com.au/forum/topic/34651-transcoding-with-h264-beginners-guide/

http://web.aanet.com.au/~auric/?q=node/6

The whole process takes time and if it fails you have to go back,
correct the cuts and run it again.

Now I am transcoding to remove the commercials producing a clean nuv
file and then make the dvd with mytharchive.

-=terry=-