[mythtv-users] mytharchive dvd from HD-PVR

Will Dormann wdormann at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 00:33:35 UTC 2011

On 1/17/11 5:22 PM, John Pilkington wrote:

> Hi Will:  I see you have joined this thread.  We had a similar one last
> week, but I'm afraid that I got confused by the HD-PVR and other similar
> devices and didn't realize that the recordings here were h264.  Did you
> try the script from the wiki that you asked about last week?  I didn't
> comment, but since the author is Robert McNamara I think I would expect
> it to do what is claimed, and still to be a valid approach.  That's
> assuming the recording is 'clean', of course, and that changes in ffmpeg
> or elsewhere haven't broken it recently.

Hi John,

I actually have not yet tried the script from the wiki
( http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:Iamlindoro )

I think what initially turned me away from it was that the output was an
MKV file.  That plus the comment about it is *maybe* working with 1080i
material, which is what my HD content is.  But I suppose that
MythArchive can perhaps open MKV files to create a DVD from?   Will it
lose the metadata from the recording to use in the DVD menu, though?

I've switched back to recording analog audio, which is fine as my amp
isn't even digital, and I don't have to worry about the AC3 bug with
ffmpeg.   But I'd like to see it work at some point.

Cutting commercials first or not, DVD burning will be an overnight thing
either way.  So I haven't tinkered with it much.

-WD