[mythtv-users] FC14, lirc_mod_mce, MS MCE Keyboard. Anybody have this working?

Brian Kirkman bkirkman at qwest.net
Fri Jan 14 23:00:34 UTC 2011

> On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 22:46 -0600, Brian Kirkman wrote:
>> >Blacklisting mceusb did the trick.  Thanks Jarod!

>> working
>> buttons
>> keys

>> Derek,
>> Could you share a few tips how you were able to compile this?  I got it
>> compile from the latest sources by updating the 'usb_buffer_alloc' and
>> 'usb_buffer_free' method calls, but the module won't load without
>> crashing.  Did you replace any of the source files?  I'm also trying to
>> compile on x86_64, which might be an issue.  Any help is appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Brian
>
> Brian, I only made the following changes to lirc_mod_mce.c, which you
> must have also made in order to compile:
>
> usb_buffer_free -> usb_free_coherent
> usb_buffer_alloc -> usb_alloc_coherent
> cdev.dev -> dev.parent
>
> Then I ran the 3 dkms commands as found in the README and then
> blacklisted mceusb.  It has worked ever since.  And I am using x86_64
> FC14 as well, along with lirc 0.8.7 installed via yum from the fedora
> repos.
>
> I just looked through the source tree for lirc_mod_mce and verified that
> the only change I made to the source was in lirc_mod_mce.c.
>
> I wish I had a more helpful answer for you! :(
>
> Do you have any errors you can post from your logs?

Derek - Thanks for the help.  I was trying to compile manually, but I took
your advice and went the dkms route.  It compiles fine, and when I
blacklist mceusb as mentioned, lirc_mod_mce loads fine, too, as shown in
dmesg.  Unfortunately, irw shows nothing, and I'm grasping at straws.  I
am using the default lirc.conf for the mceusb remote.  I also made the
REMOTE_MODULES="lirc_mod_mce" change to /etc/sysconfig/lirc and tried with
and without the flag, both to no avail.  Lircd starts at bootup as usual
and can be restarted without any errors.  One thing I have noticed is that
mceusb will create a /sys/class/rc0 directory whereas lirc_mod_mce will
not. I hate to be the guy to post to the list saying, "Please Help"
without any concrete info, but I don't know where else to check or if
there's a log to look at.  Are there any other configurations that need to
be modified that you know of?  Does the "default" lirc driver have to be
explicitly defined somewhere?  Thanks for your time.

-Brian