[mythtv-users] one frontend that hangs frequently

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed Jan 12 13:22:30 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-01-12 at 06:51 -0600, Dave Richardson wrote:
> 1) Bad network between offending FE and BE (see network errors in BE
>  log)

Yeah, I saw that.  The network between that machine and the BE is always
reliable otherwise.  In any case, I have started a wireshark on that
machine to see if network is indeed the case.

> 2) High/spiked BE load interferes with timely MySQL responses

Is there ongoing MySQL traffic during playback?  I would think that the
last required MySQL traffic before playback starts is the fetching of
the commercial detection list and then there is no need for anything
from the database until playback is done.

> - I have been in a situation with too much commflagging on the BE that
>  leaves the kit so busy that MySQL responses slow down.

In any case, why would this problem be isolated to a single front end?
The fact that the problem only ever happens on a single/particular front
end would eliminate any issues with the BE including but not limited to
database issues, right?

> 3) High/spiked FE load interferes with timely MySQL handling
>  - IF you are running other activities or if you have selected too high
>  a level of VDPAU quality, you will significantly increase load on the FE
>  - if too high, load (in my experience) can manifest itself as choppy
>  playback, lurches in menu moves, or fatal timeouts in playback

Load on the FE is just fine during playback.

> 4) Is your database healthy?

Again, this type of problem would not manifest itself with only a
single/particular FE.

> My guess is that you've thought of all this... but sometimes ideas
>  spark other ideas, so, good luck!

Yes, indeed.  Thanx!

b.