[mythtv-users] one frontend that hangs frequently

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Jan 13 20:37:43 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 08:22:30AM -0500, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-01-12 at 06:51 -0600, Dave Richardson wrote:
[deletia]
> > 3) High/spiked FE load interferes with timely MySQL handling
> >  - IF you are running other activities or if you have selected too high
> >  a level of VDPAU quality, you will significantly increase load on the FE
> >  - if too high, load (in my experience) can manifest itself as choppy
> >  playback, lurches in menu moves, or fatal timeouts in playback
>
> Load on the FE is just fine during playback.
>
> > 4) Is your database healthy?
>
> Again, this type of problem would not manifest itself with only a
> single/particular FE.

    ...could be a timing dependent issue that only manifests with a particular
FE. My own frontends tend to be used at different times during the week and I
could easily see something like flagging jobs or the fetch from SD being seen
to only interefere with one of my frontends.

    I've gone to a bit of trouble myself to try and tweak my mysql database
and later to schedule things so that they would likely not impact the master
backend or the network in general during expected viewing hours. All of my
dedicated myth boxes shut down flagging during "prime time". Although I do
keep my main desktop running 24/7 doing jobs. This also has the side effect
of capping the total number of jobs running across the entire network.