[mythtv-users] Reference fanless frontend, frontend, backend, fe/be

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 23:46:10 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 5:13 PM, Richard Morton
<richard.e.morton at gmail.com> wrote:
> Totally silent means fanless and solid state disks or net boot.
> That increases the cost significantly compared to a 'comparatively' quiet
> front end (the comparison being a tivo sky+ or other pvr which do contain
> hard disks and fans.
>
> As far as i know there is no amd chipset currently worth recommending you
> are limited to nvidia if you want a reasonably quiet frontend (non too
> powerful cpu and therefore no fast fans cooling it).
>
> As for a reference documented frontend it is true maybe this could be made
> more promontent in the online documentation.
>
> The current recomendation is for an ion based system such as an eee pc or a
> zotac ion-a with 512mb configured for the video and 2gb total. There systems
> have a single fan and can net boot. You may want to add a fan controller to
> decrease the noise but they are not that noisy.
>
> This is enough typing on a tiny keyboard (powercut affecting broadband
> currently)

I know there is no ARM port for mythtv, but this signature  below made
me think of my tablet that has a tegra2 chip, which when connected to
my TV over hdmi play 1080p content perfectly...  Looks like it may be
a good win in the near future - especially after the nvidia/intel
announcement today..  ION/ATOM = future tegra...