[mythtv-users] h264 playback artifacts

Rune Evjen rune.evjen at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 20:48:51 UTC 2011

Hello,

For some time (not exactly sure if this happended before or after switching
to .24) I have experienced artifacts ("blocky" picture and some tearing) on
some recordings.

I have played around with vdpau and xorg options without success.

I'm not sure whether this is vdpau related, mythtv related or a result of
result of errors in the video file.

mythavtest shows amongst other thins a lot of these: "AFD: HandleGopStart:
Key frame distance changed from XX to XX." and I get the feeling that these
logged events correlate to the artifacts in the video.

A 150Mb sample of video is available here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/432335/sample.mpg
and the output from mythavtest for the same video is available here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/432335/sample.mpg.log

Mythtv version:
MythTV Version   : c548468
MythTV Branch    : fixes/0.24
Network Protocol : 63
Library API      : 0.24.20101129-1
QT Version       : 4.7.0
Options compiled in:
 linux debug using_alsa using_jack using_oss using_pulse using_pulseoutput
using_backend using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_dvb
using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_hdpvr using_iptv
using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl_video
using_opengl_vsync using_qtdbus using_qtwebkit using_v4l using_x11
using_xrandr using_xv using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python
using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_live
using_mheg

I hope somebody can help verify if this is related to mythtv, vdpau playback
errors or if there are errors in the video file itself.

Best regards,

Rune