[mythtv-users] Speaking of Remotes....

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Sat Jan 1 09:55:20 UTC 2011

On 1 Jan 2011, at 07:12, E. Westbrook wrote:

> Overall, I'm delighted with the new Harmony 700.  I was prepared for the UI to be too "helpful" to let me dive in and do exactly what I wanted, but refreshingly enough, I haven't been thwarted (yet) in that regard.
>
> However, I do have a beef with it.  The pulse delays are too long -- about 2.25 times as long as the originals, in fact.  To me it's impossible to ignore, but I haven't heard anyone here mention it, so I'm a bit curious.
>
> Whether I use the database settings, or learn the signals from the original remote, or even use "learn raw", the pulses just aren't quick enough.  The original remote's are snappy and great.  My mceusb receiver's syslog debug (and red LED) confirms that the Harmony is sending more data.  The "raw" learned pulses, on the other hand, appear to be the correct shorter duration, but are then spaced too far apart -- yielding about the same user latency.  Maddening!
>
> It makes the whole UI of any navigatable device (e.g. MythTV, MCE, OnDemand) feel more lethargic, particularly when the signals queue up as they fail to keep up with the user's keypresses.  Particularly when traversing a long list, one has to wait for keypresses to flush before being able to do anything else.  That never happens with the original remote.

Yes that's Harmony's default, mine (Harmony One) has been changed to be almost as fast as the original remotes. I'm sorry to say it was so long ago I can't remember how I did it, something to do with intercode delays I think but I can't remember where to find the setting.

Sometimes just knowing something can be done is enough to help find the solution, hopefully this is the case for you.

Andre