[mythtv-users] Installing an external USB sound device on Mythbuntu 10.10

Dave M G martin at autotelic.com
Mon Feb 28 03:24:35 UTC 2011

Jean-Yves,

Well, I've sort of figured out what is wrong, though I can't solve it.

After a little digging, I realized that what I did many years ago was
simply run:

sudo asoundconf list

... and then run:

sudo asoundconf set-default-card (name of card I want here)

However, I've not discovered that asoundconf is no longer available.
Which would be fine, except that there is no clear replacement for it.

I could do a lot of complaining about Linux/sound/Pulse... but I won't.

Instead, can someone tell me what it is that I'm supposed to do instead
of the two simple commands above?

Oh, and by the way, if I do:

aplay -l

The USB device I want to use is listed as device 0 (along with the
motherboard's Intel card).  So I think the card is available, I just
need to tell Mythbuntu to use it and no other cards.

And, lastly, if I run pavucontrol, I get a "connection refused" error,
and it won't let me access the interface. What fun.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

--
Dave M G