[mythtv-users] Merge of OSD and Main themes causes WAF to Plummet

Robert Siebert trebor_s at web.de
Sun Feb 27 19:22:41 UTC 2011

2011-02-25, at 8:53 PM, Robert McNamara wrote:

>> It is impossible
for a themer to be able to offer a unified UI,
> Yes, yes please, make
it impossible. Pretty please. With carrots on top. I have used myth a
long time and have never encountered a theme with a decent UI and OSD.
I've tried a lot of them and it's either one or the other. Never both.
Maybe there's something genetic where being good at one makes you
incapable of the other. Can't say why. Don't know. The reason I use myth
is to record TV shows and later watch them later. I want the list of
shows to be clear and while watching I want the position/remaining/etc
info to be clear. That's important. Having them match stylistically is
not important to me. It really isn't. It's like #387 on the list of myth
things I care about. Way down there. I really don't care about visual
matching. I don't. I get that you think you're making an improvement.
And perhaps for yourself and some people you are. Possibly for many
people. Over here it feels like pointless friction. If I recall the
commit message where the merge happened there's no technical reason why
the UI and OSD have to come from the same place. So it's like
intentional friction. Where's the big win here? To the OP: you can mix
and match theme elements if you're feeling brave. Basically you copy a
UI theme you like (new dir name & adjust the name in themeinfo.xml) plus
copy in another theme's osd.xml plus png/jpg elements to make a new UI /
OSD combo. Put the directory in the mythtv user's .mythtv/Themes (I
think) folder and it should show up in the theme selections. I've done
this and it works ok. The problem is theme elements are still evolving
and when your base themes get updated of course you have to remerge
which can get tiresome. If you build myth yourself it make be easy
enough to fix it the code. I have't looked and anyway don't like running
a lot of local patches for things that belong in the base application. -

Whats wrong
with the blue-abstract or arclight themes? they offer a consistent OSD
and UI experience.

Links:
------
[1]