[mythtv-users] Merge of OSD and Main themes causes WAF to Plummet

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 23:20:37 UTC 2011

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 3:03 PM, George Nassas <gnassas at mac.com> wrote:

> On 2011-02-26, at 3:28 PM, Justin Hornsby wrote:
>
> > Do you know how many hours
>

> You're off on a tangent. Nobody is diminishing the time or effort of people
> who make themes.

Baloney.  This is exactly what people are doing by complaining that the
themes don't fit their aesthetic requirements, and then refusing to create
one themselves.  They are essentially telling those that *have* spent the
hard time on it that their time has been wasted completely, and that you'd
rather moan about it than "man up" and do something productive.

> The problem here is a disconnect between abstract notions of what's
> worthwhile and the concrete wishes of people who actually use the thing.

If you have "concrete wishes" that aren't being met, start working on it
yourself.  Obviously those who have spent their time on it don't value the
same things as you, and you and others alienating them in this thread will
not make that any better over time.  If you aren't able to create the theme,
try finding someone who can, and who doesn't mind working your creative
ideas into a new theme.

> Much of myth gets things right, some areas vastly superior to the
> alternatives, so it surprises me that anyone would dig in on such a
> pointless irritant. All IMHO of course ;)

And yet, here you and others are digging in.  I have been leaving this
thread alone, mostly, as I am not one of those who does theming.  I like the
idea that the OSD and main themes are closely related now, but still,
there's nothing preventing you or another from creating your own local theme
with the main theme you like plus the OSD you like.  Nothing is for free,
really.  Either you are using someone else's time and effort, or you are
using your own.

The "tangent" of the time and effort required of those creating themes is
hardly a tangent.  It is the main reason our themes are the way they are.
 Justin, Robert and a few others have been able to take their artistic ideas
and concepts, and make them into themes we can all enjoy.  This has taken a
very large amount of time and effort on their parts, and they justifiably
get perturbed when people are seemingly minimizing their efforts.  Remember,
this is using up their spare time, and then people come along and (whether
intentionally or not) are maligning the products of their efforts.  I'd get
miffed too.

I agree that a GUI-based theme editor would make theming easier, and would
be really nice, however, as Justin mentioned, writing and maintaining such a
tool is a huge undertaking.  If *you* want to do it, go for it.  I think
those of us that are working on MythTV have other priorities at this time.
 Come to think of it...  I'm gonna go back to the code.