[mythtv-users] Sandy Bridge / Intel HD 3000 support?

Tom Hill tom at ninjabadger.net
Thu Feb 24 09:16:25 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-02-24 at 08:29 +0800, Mark Kendall wrote:
> Hardware decoding for the HD 2/3000 series is via  VAAPI. I have an
> outstanding ticket for adding VAAPI support to mythtv but, to be
> honest, the chances of me continuing to work on it in the near future
> are remote (anyone interested?).
>
> The last time I looked, the Intel/upstream libva library was out of
> date, the recommended library version was provided and maintained by a
> third party and the two had API inconsistencies. The intel support
> seemed flaky at best (though that was just as likely my code), ATI/AMD
> support was a joke (I don't know why they bothered to be honest) and
> the implementation as a whole is weak in comparison to VDPAU or DXVA2
> (e.g. none or notional deinterlacing support).

This is a shame, especially given the working support for VA-API in XMBC
already. There will be a lot of users looking to use these new chipsets
(and the previous generation GMA HD) with Myth, whom will be coming-up
short when it comes to H.264.

The Gallium3D offshoot of Mesa may well hold more promise for AMD, one
day (but that is OT).

> Fingers crossed it will improve (it may well have done so already).

Here's hoping.

Tom