[mythtv-users] Sandy Bridge / Intel HD 3000 support?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Feb 24 13:08:53 UTC 2011

On 2/24/2011 04:16, Tom Hill wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-02-24 at 08:29 +0800, Mark Kendall wrote:
>> Hardware decoding for the HD 2/3000 series is via  VAAPI. I have an
>> outstanding ticket for adding VAAPI support to mythtv but, to be
>> honest, the chances of me continuing to work on it in the near future
>> are remote (anyone interested?).
>>
>> The last time I looked, the Intel/upstream libva library was out of
>> date, the recommended library version was provided and maintained by a
>> third party and the two had API inconsistencies. The intel support
>> seemed flaky at best (though that was just as likely my code), ATI/AMD
>> support was a joke (I don't know why they bothered to be honest) and
>> the implementation as a whole is weak in comparison to VDPAU or DXVA2
>> (e.g. none or notional deinterlacing support).
> There will be a lot of users looking to use these new chipsets
> (and the previous generation GMA HD) with Myth, whom will be coming-up
> short when it comes to H.264.

But that's the thing.  Any desktop i3/5/7 will have plenty of power to
handle any content MythTV might come across with software decoding.
Hardware offloading is nice, but unnecessary when you have the CPU power
to back it up, which has always been the recommended mode of operation
for MythTV, even for machines capable of VDPAU.