[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Feb 14 20:17:19 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 01:03:58PM -0700, match at ece.utah.edu wrote:

> > > It sounds like Myth for dummies.  Perfect.  Downloading now.  Thanks.
> >
> > I prefer to think of it as MythTV on Ubuntu for people who don't want to
> > re-invent the wheel.
> >
> Mike has it right.

    Yes. Except didn't Brian just have a problem with MythBuntu that he
would not have had with stock Ubuntu? As someone that's got a fresh
perspective, it would be interesting to see his take on the differences.

    A lot of what makes MythTV work isn't just MythTV. It also includes
all of the hardware bits like his tuner and video card.

    If everything goes off without a hitch, then the Myth Distro is
fine. Otherwise, it's probably more of a hassle.

    Like I said. It will be interesting to get his take on it.

> I've built MythTV in about any way you can imagine. Beginning back in
> the days of RedHat 9. I've compiled it from source, downloaded pre-
> compiled packages for various distros, and run MythDora, KnoppMyth
> and MythBuntu.
>
> I actually prefer MythDora, but I'm using MythBuntu now just because
> it's more current. Meh... blue vs red, it all works the same in the
> end.

[deletia]