[mythtv-users] MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 01:14:39 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 2:08 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 6:30 PM, john.baab at gmail.com
> <john.baab at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Keep in mind that Myth appears to add higher costs for the front-end
> >> hardware.  I can get Media Center Extenders for about $100 each.  Can I
> >> build a Myth front-end for $100 that will play HD content?
> >
> > More reasonably low $200 range for a some flavor of an Ion box.  Also
> > worth noting this is an actual PC so you will have much more control
> > and expandability over any extender.
> >
> > It was my understanding that the xbox 360 was the only MCE extender
> > still made, they aren't $100.
>
> I think he's talking about something like this:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-Media-Center-Extender-DVD/dp/B000XQONSG

And the first review I see there just reinforces the open argument in the
open|closed debate we have been having

" (3) if the video, music, or picture is not supported by windows media
connect *** AND HAS THE CORRECT BITRATE*** it is not going to play; (4) even
if your media center pc can playback a file doesn't necessarily mean the
extender will play it back, all the processing of the file is done on the
extender and the only codecs that get supported are those listed in windows
media connect. "